During this time of social distancing in response to COVID 19, we would like to emphasize the importance to us all of continuing to support local businesses.
Our best advice is to follow the common-sense directions of Provincial Medical Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry – lots of hand washing and self-isolating when sick – and to:
- Buy gift certificates from your favorite restaurant, shop, barber, etc. This an easy way to help businesses financially now, while saving for the future.
- Inquire about delivery options from businesses or through a local courier.
- Buy goods such as food, cleaning supplies, and pharmacy items from a local manufacturer or supplier.
- Reach out to the local business directly and see if they have any innovate ways to provide their products or services.
- There are also many digital ways of supporting local businesses. Leaving a positive review, liking their posts, or giving them a shout out on social media are all effective ways to bring more business to their organization.
Catherine Holt is CEO of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce