Published On: Friday, 23 February 2018
Tectoria Shows Off Local Tech in One-Day Expo
VICTORIA - Discover Tectoria is the Island's BIGGEST Tech Expo, so it took over the Crystal Garden for a day-long display timed to coincide with a regional Pro-D day on February 23.
This year’s showcase featured 76 booths over two floors, a great lineup of panel discussions, science demos for kids, VR experiences, a “Jam Hut”, samples from Victoria Beer Week, the Spirit of Tomorrow car and more. The expo, organized by VIATEC (Victoria Innovation, Advanced Technology & Entrepreneurship Council), featured:
- Main floor Tradeshow with local companies demonstrating products, hiring talent and co-op students;
- The Creativity Hub, sponsored by BC Public Service Agency, which was a collection of interactive tech displays, showcasing Victoria's excellent creativity;
- Startup Alley, sponsored by Work BC, which provided a sneak peek at the future of Tectoria;
- The UVic Research District, which presented see some amazing projects post-secondary students have put together;
- The Innovation Theatre, sponsored by TD Canada Trust, which was a line-up of great talks and panel discussions;
- The Combustion Chamber, which offered Science Venture LIVE demos for the kids!; and
- Partner Row, sponsored by Royal Roads University, which highlighted a group of incredibly useful organizations that serve businesses and the community.
VIATEC is once again taking full advantage of the tri-district Pro-D Day to encourage parents to bring their kids to enjoy a full day of exploration.
Youth get a glimpse into a future working in tech, post-secondary students and job seekers get to meet potential employers, local and visiting investors can check out some up-and-coming businesses, and tech companies get to showcase their products and services to thousands of attendees.
“We created this event in 2003 to showcase the innovation taking place right here in Victoria,” explains Dan Gunn, CEO of VIATEC.
“Discover Tectoria gives our local tech companies a platform where they can be seen and heard by investors, media, job seekers and youth. We are aiming to draw out 4,000 attendees, many of which will make up the leaders and vital team members of our community in the immediate and near future. There’s no better way to inspire our future tech workers than filling a space with all the opportunities, creative minds and unworldly inventions.”
Simultaneously, VIATEC, the City of Victoria, the Capital Investment Network and the National Angel Capital Organization (NACO) are hosting the Western Regional Angel Summit from February 21 to 23. The event hosted a contingent of visiting angel and venture capital investors. Invitees experienced first-hand the city’s highly sought after quality of life, including how easy it is to travel to and from Victoria, the vibrancy of the innovative business community, and the depth of deal-making potential. The trip ended with a visit to Discover Tectoria.