Greater Vernon Chamber Wants Flexibility On Property Taxes

April 1, 2020

VERNON – The Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce is calling on the provincial government to provide businesses and residents with property tax flexibility while supporting local governments.

Krystin Kempton is President of the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce

The Chamber has written to Premier John Horgan and Municipal Affairs Minister Selina Robinson and asked that the provincial government provide BC business and residential property owners with the ability to apply for a deferral on property taxes and municipal utility service payments until Sept. 30, 2020.

“The reality is that business owners in B.C. have been impacted negatively by the Covid-19 pandemic, including disrupted revenue streams while many fixed costs continue,” said Krystin Kempton, Greater Vernon Chamber president.

“Many are also left with residential mortgages and are caring for children or elderly parents. They require some certainty that they can pay essential bills at this time, while preparing for property taxes in the future.”

Rather than an outright deferral of property taxes, the Chamber believes the ability to apply for a deferral on property taxes is preferred as there will be property owners who are able to pay their taxes by the traditional deadline.

“They should be encouraged to do so as a way of supporting their local municipality or regional district,” said Kempton.

The Chamber is also requesting that the provincial government support municipalities, regional districts and other local agencies in their ability to provide services until Sept. 30, 2020.

“We are cognizant that any potential deferral of property taxes could impact municipal and regional district operations. It is important that the provincial government ensure local governments can continue to provide services to residents until any property tax deferral concludes,” said Kempton.

Dione Chambers is General Manager of the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce. She can be reached at 250-545-0771 or

Share This