ARMSTRONG – Farmstrong Cider was filled with chamber members and guests celebrating the amazing businesses, organization and volunteers recently as the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce hosted their 2023 Community Excellence Awards.
Board and staff welcomed business and community members to the event co-hosted by emcees Madison Reynolds and Marc Szarek sponsored by Drax.
Awards in 10 categories were given out to businesses, organizations and individuals nominated by their peers and the community. This year again featured awards specially designed and produced by Final Touch in Armstrong.
The following were recognized:
- Rising Star PV BLVD Coffee sponsored by Rossworn Henderson LLP.
- Micro Business of the Year Rythmn Productions sponsored by VantageOne Credit Union
- Small Business of the Year Monashee Outdoors sponsored by Blackwell Building Movers
- Mid-Size Business of the Year Swanson Mountain Fitness sponsored by Community Futures North Okanagan
- Corporate Business of the Year Rancho Vignola sponsored by Hub International
- Employee of the Year Natalie Sinnott sponsored by Shepherd’s Home Hardware & Outdoor Living Centre
- Revitalization & Innovation Wood Mountain Naturals sponsored by Hytec – A Kohler Company
- Hospitality & Tourism Farmstrong Cider Co & Bloom Flower Festivals sponsored by the Township of Spallumcheen (category tied)
- Organization of the Year Armstrong Kin Club sponsored by Okanagan Restoration
- Citizen of the Year Gail Salter sponsored by the City of Armstrong & Township of Spallumcheen
‘We received some great nominations this year. It was evident that for some, a lot of consideration and thought went into putting the nomination together,’ said President Lori Shepherd. ‘A record number of nominations – over 100 – were received including a few from residents outside of Armstrong Spallumcheen that wanted to recognize local businesses.’
Each award winner received a bountiful gift basket compliments of Rancho Vignola.
Armstrong Wine & Brew and Okanagan Advertiser were also recognized with a ‘President’s Choice Award’ recognizing their contributions to the community as long time business owners.
‘It was noted that the Armstrong/Okanagan Advertiser has captured the stories of our community for 120 years,’ said Vice President Madison Reynolds. ‘And Armstrong Wine & Brew is the longest-running owner-operated brew on-premise in North Okanagan and they have a loyal base of customers second to none. ’
The Peter Rotzetter Memorial Bursary was also presented to Marcus Peterson.
After the awards presentation, nominees, sponsors, and guests gathered for further networking including karaoke featuring soulful songs of the 70’s, a fun photo booth by Flash and Frame and the door prize draw with the lucky winner taking home a ‘Staycation Package for Two’.
‘We are so thankful to have the support of our members and local businesses,’ said Patti Noonan, Executive Director Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce. ‘We could not present an event like this without their support. It is also important to recognize the efforts of the board, staff and volunteers who worked to make this a fun networking event.’
Event sponsors were: Drax, Rancho Vignola, Farmstrong Cider Co., Final Touch, Bloom Flower Festival & Rhythm Productions.
The board and staff thank everyone for their support of this event and are already planning the 2024 edition.
Lori Shepherd is President of the Armstrong Spallumcheen Chamber of Commerce