Published On: Monday, 06 March 2017
Summerland Chamber Celebrates Business Awards Nominees
- Christine Petkau is Executive Director of the Summerland Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Summerland. She can be reached at email@example.com.
SUMMERLAND - The Summerland Chamber of Commerce held its annual Nominees’ Reception on Feb. 10th, to celebrate all the nominees for the 79th Annual Business and Community Awards. The reception was sponsored by Nesters Market in Summerland with wines provided by the Bottleneck Drive Winery Association.
67 businesses and individuals have been nominated in 14 categories, which is a 38% increase in nominations over last year. These awards celebrate entrepreneurial spirit, leadership, best business practices, and contribution to the economy and to the community.
The nominees are as follows:
- Tourism/Hospitality Excellence sponsored by Sumac Ridge Estate Winery: 8th Generation Vineyards, Bead Trails Experience, La Punta Norte Guest House, Local on Lakeshore, Saxon Estate Winery, Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, Zias Stonehouse Restaurant.
- Retail Excellence sponsored by the Summerland Review: Cherry Tree Quilts, IGA Summerland, Pharmasave Summerland, Rock Star District, The Peach Pitt of Summerland, SASS Boutique.
- Award for Excellence in Customer Service sponsored by RE/MAX Orchard Country: Laura Avdich and Norma Bradley – Summerland Credit Union, Hedy Chen – Hagen’s Travel & Cruises, Sam Cheveldave – Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa, Tara Hollas – Summerland Food Band & Resource Centre, Retha Marsden – Edward Jones (beside Nesters), Johanne Roy – Nesters Market Summerland.
- Trade Services Excellence sponsored by Alder Street Auto Body: Deputy Diesel Performance, Integra Tire Auto Centre, Selles Roofing Co., SIS Roofing and Exteriors, Verity Electrical Contracting.
- Professional Services Excellence sponsored by Brown Benefits: ABK Restoration Services Ltd., Avery Law Office, Beauty & the Brit, Beauty Box Studio Inc., Lakeshore Fitness + Health, Morpheus Graphix, Patrick Murphy of RE/MAX Orchard Country, Providence Funeral Homes Summerland, Terry Sedawie of RBC Royal Bank, Spokes Clinical Naturopathy, Mike Stohler of RE/MAX Orchard Country, Summerland Family Chiropractic, Summerland Credit Union.
- Sustainability Leader sponsored by SummerGate: 8th Generation Vineyards, Grasslands Nursery and Garden Supplies, Hunter’s Hill Holdings Ltd., and Okanagan Crush Pad Winery.
- Award for Excellence in Agriculture sponsored by Summerland’s Bottleneck Drive Winery Association: Brarstar Orchards, LocalMotive Organic Delivery, LocalMotive Organic Delivery & Okanagan Crush Pad Winery, What The Fungus.
- Manufacturing/Industrial Excellence sponsored by Community Futures Okanagan Similkameen: Backyard Beans Coffee Roasting, Maple Roch Pure Canadian Maple Syrup.
- Technology and Innovation Excellence sponsored by Accelerate Okanagan: ElectroMotion Energy, ET2media, FarmSolutions.net, Salubrious Seeds.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year sponsored by IGA Summerland: Corinne Inman – Morpheus Graphix, Kari Harding – Rock Star District, Huan Pham – Lakeshore Fitness + Health, Mark Sherriff – Deputy Diesel Performance.
- Rising Star/New Business sponsored by RBC Royal Bank: Back Door Winery, Canines & Co. Okanagan Dog Obedience School, Carl’s Flower Company, Dominion Cider Co., Eyes 4 You, Golden Wrench Contracting, Main Street Yoga, Nailed It! Projects, Ogopogo Valley Tours, Synergy Home Inspections.
- The Arts Award sponsored by Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa: Maureen King, Susan Scott, Sophia Zang, Marginal Arts Festival.
- Citizen /Volunteer of the Year sponsored by Nesters Market: Doug Holmes, Nic and Shei Seaton, Grant Stone, Mary Trainer.
- Business of the Year sponsored by Summerland Credit Union: 8th Generation Vineyards, ABK Restoration Services Ltd., Bead Trails Experience, Deputy Diesel Performance, Grasslands Nursery and Garden Supplies, IGA Summerland, Maple Roch Pure Canadian Maple Syrup, SIS Roofing and Exteriors, Tones Hair Design, and True Grain Bread Summerland.
Electronic voting for the winners occurred between Feb. 14th – 27th. All awards will be presented at the Gala.
The Mayor’s Award of Excellence, given at the Mayor’s discretion to a local organization that has made an outstanding contribution to the community, will also be presented at that time.
The expanded Oscar-style Gala will be held on Saturday, March 11th at Centre Stage in Summerland and is catered by Union Kitchen Inc. Entertainment provided by Kinshira. Event sponsors include: Grasslands Nursery and Garden Supply, Kettle Valley Steam Railway, LocalMotive Organic Delivery, Maple Roch, and Okanagan Crush Pad Winery.